A greenhouse emerges
At least a couple of years before we left the old house up the hill, I bought from a friend a 'new, other' greenhouse, in other words a collection of aluminium extrusions and pieces of glass which had never been assembled but which were not in their original packaging. I was assured that everything was present, and my checks suggested that the assurance was well based.
When we left the house up the hill, the aluminium and glass went to our hired shipping container at a local garage and emerged a few weeks ago to experience further hazardous transportation to this new place.
Following our return from our very pleasant campervan trip to Spain, it was time to try to put it up. At first I worked without instructions, as I couldn't find any markings to tell me the make or model. Drawing on my Meccano-dominated childhood experience, I managed to get most of the aluminium structure together before finding a faint label on a pack of glass, enabling me to exploit the wonders of the internet to solve the few remaining construction details.
With the aluminium skeleton in place, and apparently square and true, the time-consuming task of fitting the glass started. It sits on rubber strips which had originally been self-adhesive, but now needed a borrowed glue gun to fix in place. Unpacking the glass exposed the odd broken piece, but considering the number of times it had been moved I was very lucky, the more so as the manufacturers had supplied a few extra pieces.
Now it's up with its automatic vents operating when the temperature rises (weather permitting, of course). There's some further tidying to do in and around it, but we may even get some tomato plants going this season.


Comments
Post a Comment