A haircut for our big tree
A few months ago when we met our neighbours-to-be who live opposite the plot, they gently pointed out that they were a little worried that our large lime tree had grown laterally to the point where its branches were brushing against their chimney. We promised to get something done, but warned them that, as the tree is protected by a tree preservation order, it would take some time.
In the event, the process has been smooth but slow. In early August, we asked Proarb, one of the larger arboricultural firms in the area, to come and examine the tree, make their recommendations, and quote for the advised work. Their surveyor, Rob, came out to the site and suggested that a minor crown reduction to provide 3m of free space would suffice. He reckoned that the tree is 150 years old and that it will live for another 200. He counselled against any further work on the basis that every cut provides a possible route into the tree for infection. A couple of days later we had their written quotation - £450 for a 3-man team to do the work in half a day, with no need to apply (and pay) for the closure of the road.
The planning procedure for the work is similar to that for all building procedures, except for the fact that no application fee is levied. I found the forms online and completed a long process, submitting 5 copies of plans, the quotation and photographs. Before the application was validated I had an email exchange with a planning officer who said that I had to mark the 3m cutting point on the relevant photograph. I told him that I couldn't gain access to measure it precisely, and asked if he could estimate it, based on the height of the building in the photograph. He said that he wasn't able to estimate it, but that I could, resubmitting the photograph with a red line marked on it. This I did, in an amateurish fashion, but that sufficed. The application then went live, with a 4 weeks consultation period. I followed the process on the planning portal, and eventually saw that the parish council had considered the application and made no adverse comments. After 10 weeks (2 weeks more than the process should take) we received approval. I contacted Proarb and they arranged to do the work yesterday.
A very professional operation swung into action at about 9am. The chipper and crewbus were reversed onto the plot, and the initial work was done from the ground with a very long, sectional pruning saw.
Only one thick branch needed to be removed, and this involved Hugh using his climbing skills (skills he told me he had honed at university, to the cost of his degree class).
He edged out along side branches, positioning his protection as he went.
Using a small chainsaw and lying along a branch, he removed the offending stub.
And that was just about it. They cleared up tidily, removing the chipped smaller branches (bar those the lady from the school stopped to ask for - presumably for Christmas decorations), left me a couple of logs, and were away to spend my tip on coffee (?) just after 11.
We had been lucky with the weather after a run of rainy days, the tree hardly shows that it's been worked on, and our neighbours will be happy. A good outcome. Just the bill to pay now.
In the event, the process has been smooth but slow. In early August, we asked Proarb, one of the larger arboricultural firms in the area, to come and examine the tree, make their recommendations, and quote for the advised work. Their surveyor, Rob, came out to the site and suggested that a minor crown reduction to provide 3m of free space would suffice. He reckoned that the tree is 150 years old and that it will live for another 200. He counselled against any further work on the basis that every cut provides a possible route into the tree for infection. A couple of days later we had their written quotation - £450 for a 3-man team to do the work in half a day, with no need to apply (and pay) for the closure of the road.
The planning procedure for the work is similar to that for all building procedures, except for the fact that no application fee is levied. I found the forms online and completed a long process, submitting 5 copies of plans, the quotation and photographs. Before the application was validated I had an email exchange with a planning officer who said that I had to mark the 3m cutting point on the relevant photograph. I told him that I couldn't gain access to measure it precisely, and asked if he could estimate it, based on the height of the building in the photograph. He said that he wasn't able to estimate it, but that I could, resubmitting the photograph with a red line marked on it. This I did, in an amateurish fashion, but that sufficed. The application then went live, with a 4 weeks consultation period. I followed the process on the planning portal, and eventually saw that the parish council had considered the application and made no adverse comments. After 10 weeks (2 weeks more than the process should take) we received approval. I contacted Proarb and they arranged to do the work yesterday.
A very professional operation swung into action at about 9am. The chipper and crewbus were reversed onto the plot, and the initial work was done from the ground with a very long, sectional pruning saw.
Only one thick branch needed to be removed, and this involved Hugh using his climbing skills (skills he told me he had honed at university, to the cost of his degree class).
He edged out along side branches, positioning his protection as he went.
Using a small chainsaw and lying along a branch, he removed the offending stub.
And that was just about it. They cleared up tidily, removing the chipped smaller branches (bar those the lady from the school stopped to ask for - presumably for Christmas decorations), left me a couple of logs, and were away to spend my tip on coffee (?) just after 11.
We had been lucky with the weather after a run of rainy days, the tree hardly shows that it's been worked on, and our neighbours will be happy. A good outcome. Just the bill to pay now.
Comments
Post a Comment