3 July - dropping the level of the wall

A hot day. So I planned a morning's work at the plot with some child-minding for Maddy planned for the afternoon.

I started by trimming the front hedge (which will eventually have to be reduced in height to comply with the highways part of the planning permission).



Then the generator came out, the big SDS drill was engaged, and I started to reduce the height of the wall, down to about 600mm to allow for the replacement of the soldier stones within the height limit of 900mm. I used two barrows, one for the dressed stones and one for the infill stones. These had to be transported to add to the existing piles on the plot.

I had had enough after 4 hours. I'd drunk a couple of litres of water, and the thermometer on the Land Rover (the sensor for which admittedly isn't in the shade) showed over 40 degrees.


I had done a third of the demolition job, so I should probably allow for 5 or 6 more similar sessions to finish the job, including the replacement in mortar of the top stones. I'll need a TP delivery of sand and cement for that.







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Eighteen months have passed

Gravel, gates, and a working wood-burning stove

We have boundary walls