Meeting with the architect on the 16th May 2018

Yesterday we met Adrian Jones again to look at the plans he has produced following our briefing meeting with him a couple of weeks ago.  Despite the fact that I had been trying hard not to design the house in my head I must have had an image of how it would sit on the land and the first surprise was to find that the plan he proposed was quite different.  He had started by looking hard at the constraints of the plot and the challenge of ensuring that the house took advantage of the views despite the fact these are to the north east and are seen from the side and the back corner of the plot.

As he took us through what he had drawn up I began to feel a little bubble of excitement.  It grew very slowly at first as we looked at the light and bedroom arrangements and the way he was suggesting he incorporate our specific requirements but the longer we looked and the more I noticed the detail of light and roof lines and the way the proposed house sat in the land, the more I liked it.  I found myself feeling that this was a house I would really like to live in.  I had expected a large open plan space but he has combined the kitchen with a dining area, the dining part under a lantern light, and made a separate sitting room.  I found I could envisage using that space and living in it much more easily than the open plan room I had had in my head.  I think the actual sitting room should be a bit bigger in view of the fact that accommodating the visits of our huge family was one of the things we were hoping to improve through this project.  Ian measured the dauddarn and that needs a small adjustment to alter a proposed glass screen in the dining room but it looked good.

It looked like the kind of house that would suit us, not huge, not showy but beautifully, intelligently thought out and full of light.  I like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eighteen months have passed

Gravel, gates, and a working wood-burning stove

We have boundary walls